Monday, March 24, 2014

Prisoners' letters of advice to their former selves



I don't know about you guys, but I rarely remember dreams.  In fact, when I do remember them, they're usually intense and frightening as hell.  The dreams I tend to remember are a few varieties of the same dream.  I'm either standing on something that breaks and I begin to fall, or doing something very stupid and/or very illegal and going to jail.  I'm sure somewhere there's some obnoxiously pretentious therapist thirsting for the opportunity to overcharge me for their brief and of course callous interpretation of my life and my fears being manifested into a dream of hopelessness and confinement, which in turn, is fueled by fear of commitment and abandonment...or something like that.  Regardless, one's choices made in life aren't always driven by stupidity.  Everyone in jail isn't there because their life path was cloaked in crime and brutality.  Sometimes, probably even often times, these choices were instant, split-second decisions, more often than not influenced by someone else, or forced upon them by a string of bad choices that led them to a life of incarceration.   I certainly regret sounding like a criminal/prisoner apologist, but this exhibit of prisoners' letters to their former selves is brilliant.  I couldn't not read them.  The psychology of criminals, prisoners and prisons in general, have always fascinated me.  See if you find it as fascinating as I do.  



No comments: