Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Enough is enough...good grief.



I'm growing very tired of this whole Casey Anthony debacle. First, I truly believe if she were an African-American mother, with the same history and background as Casey, it wouldn't even be news. Second, this is a trial that only rivals, in regard to media attention, the other most famous media thirsty murder trial in our nation's history, Oranthal James Simpson. Ironically, in both cases, blame the prosecution. In this case, blame the arrogance and wanton thirst for a capital murder conviction. Make no mistake, this is undoubtedly a tragedy. Regardless of her gruesome murder, that poor little girl had no chance of a future. Based on what America learned about her mother and that family, we should feel some relief that she's finally resting peacefully. Whether Casey Anthony committed the most abhorrent and heinous crime is moot; because irrespective of her guilt or innocence, it's what you can prove beyond beyond a reasonable doubt. The prosecution couldn't do that. The prosecution knew the evidence and still chose to pursue capital murder. A lesser conviction would've been far easier to reach and would've kept her jail for a long long time. I'm just so sick of hearing how disgusted people are and how much they hate Casey Anthony. Of course back then, with OJ, it was racial. What do those people say now, or do they just hate her because "They know" she's guilty. You're allowed to hate her. You just can't convict her because the people that had all the evidence couldn't do it. Only a despicable human being could tattoo "The Good Life" on their back while their child is missing for a month. Only a monster could continue partying while her child was lying in its shallow grave in some swamp behind their home. It's not about public opinion though. It's about the court of law. It's about a decision from a jury of peers coming to an informed decision based on circumstantial evidence. Circumstance is difficult to prove. It's that simple. If nothing else, I have faith in our Justice system. It's verdicts like this that solidify my faith. I try to be rational. I have a feeling she's guilty, but based on how shady her whole family was throughout the trial, they're probably all guilty to some degree. I can say without equivocation that if I were on trial and my life were on the line, I want the presented evidence to lead the jury to my fate, not media scrutiny, or personal vendettas. It's impossible to rationalize the murder of anyone, much less a two year old child. I tried to picture myself on that jury. If evidence led me to believe she was guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, I could pull the trigger myself, but being an American, and believing in this great nation, won't allow me to reach a verdict that could possibly send someone to death if I couldn't, beyond any reasonable doubt, know that I was making the right decision. Just like OJ, if it doesn't fit, you must acquit. I couldn't name three people, including OJ himself, that doesn't know he did it, but it doesn't matter. He's not guilty. Our system isn't without flaw, but when you see a trial like this, where fireballs of hatred are directed toward an alleged murderer, and yet still, a jury defies everyone by saying something as simple as, "We weren't satisfied with the evidence provided" makes me feel like America has it pretty darn close to perfect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like it! i'm glad our justice system is based on circumstantial evidence but this hurts to see. i almost hope some random freak will decide to take the liberty of killing this lady.

Anonymous said...

you"re right - if she were black there would be a lot more people in her "not guilty" camp. just like oj. highlights an important racial issue / divide in our country that nobody wants to talk about

MeganAnn said...

when i first moved here almost 6 years ago, my very first indication that i had moved to a land that was 15-20 years behind where i had come from was people asking me, "do you think o.j. did it?"

when i was in 10th grade, they stopped classes and we all turned on the t.v. to watch the verdict. in l.a., it was not racial. we have never had the racial issues that still persist down here. it was about corrupt cops who wanted to convict a wealthy man. the cops shot their credibility in the o.j. trial and the prosecution had no shot in hell to dig their way out of it.

from that moment in 10th grade to this day, i will still say the very same thing, "i believe in our country's justice system and a jury of my peers found him innocent."

i will say it about casey anothony, too.

Trey said...

Megan,

In one breath I think you're agreeing with me, while in the other, I'm not so sure. The simple reality of human nature is that prejudices exist. Whether it's racial discrimination or class warfare, resource competition is the genesis. Whether you agree, social and racial and social prejudices exist in SoCal just as they do in GA. Afterall, Rodney King wouldn't have been Rodney King if his name had been Rutherford James Lawson III. When looking at this case, I think the bright spot has to be justice in spite of social prejudices and influence, especially in a world where even the brightest minds can be influenced by social mediums. I'm pretty sure you agree with me, but I'm a little disturbed by your assessment of the lack of tolerance among people from the south. It seems short sighted. Thank you for the comments...love them so keep them coming.