Friday, August 14, 2009

Dude, you better live in the human society...



"As we all know in the past, I've made some mistakes. I've done some terrible things...made a horrible mistake...and now I wanna be part of the solution and not the problem."

Well Mr Vick, a mistake is getting off your bed and stepping on your dog's tail. I wouldn't classify electrocuting your dog with battery cables, drowning your dog in your pool with your bare hands while the helpless dog fights for his life, or throwing your household pets into the ring with your killer pit bulls, a mistake. According to a 1997 study done by the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Northeastern University, animal abusers are five times more likely to commit violent crimes against people and four times more likely to commit property crimes than are individuals without a history of animal abuse. That said though, I think a lot of Vick's problems were the company he kept. My father always said, "You sleep with the dogs, you rise with the fleas." For Vick, this was true in more ways than one. I think he's truly remorseful. I think he'll be all the things he says he wants to be, but then again, he really doesn't have a choice. No athlete besides maybe Orenthal James Simpson has fallen as far as he has. I thought the press conference was sincere, but boy did he need to be brought down a few notches. This is the same guy that was awaiting trial and gets busted for marijuana. The same guy that gives the bird to his fans in Atlanta as he walked off the field. The same guy that did abhorrent things to innocent defenseless animals. I want the guy to rehab and assimilate into society and the NFL as a productive citizen and player, and as a prime example of what it costs to be an asshole in the NFL and society. After all that's said and done, guys in the NFL have done worse...runover a guy while you're hammered (Stallworth), Shoot up a strip club among coutless other offenses (A. Jones), butcher and gut your wife and an innocent restaurant waiter outside your LA home (OJ). I just think that Vick played his cards wrong and let his arrogance represent him. He's paid a price which is more than most have done. If Philly accepts him, then I guess I will...that city's full of assholes.

No comments: