Friday, September 25, 2009

Willie, sorry bro, but i think you know.



We're just a few weeks into my favorite time of the year. College football, thanks a little to ESPN, has exploded on a national scene. Now you've got games on TV nearly everyday of the week. Boise State, Utah, U. South FL, etc, are just a few of the breakout teams over the last few years. All of this expanding media coverage has made teams like these so much more competitive, while traditional powerhouse teams like Michigan and Notre Dame have suffered at the hands of athletic parity. Despite all of this though, college football in the south is as ridiculous as it's ever been. It seems like the only conference that doesn't suffer from the expanding national college football scene. The conference, like always, is loaded with superior athletes that are bigger faster and stronger than their competing conference counterparts. However, that's not why I write this piece. I write this to lament our defense. I watched the worst top 5 team ever hold the Gamecocks last night to 16 points. Our inept defensive coordinator gives up nearly a "fiddy spot." I'm so tired of our coach. You know, the coach we venerate so often. Well sometime Coach Richt, the guy that wins games is the guy that doesn't make excuses for poor coaching, or the guy that pisses people off and fires up his players on the sidelines. I can't stand Urban Meyer, but if we had two crystal trophies, I'd love him. I hate to make this sound like I detest Richt because I don't. I just need a little more swagger out of him. I need him to hold his coaching staff a little more accountable. What I need more is to hold a horrendous South Carolina team to under 25. What I need is for our turnover ratio to be better than -7. What I need is to look down at the sideline and see players fired up. I need that Richt that urges his players to storm the end zone in Jax two years ago...Not the coach that gives up 50-something and looks terrified. If you're not going to call offensive or defensive plays, at least be a figure head. Be a confident guy with a little swagger that motivates the hell out of his team. be the guy that hires good coaches and puts their foot to the fires. Until then, I won't be buying tickets at Sanford Stadium.

No comments: