Monday, January 26, 2009

Ive got 99 problems and Jay-Z is one.



In order for viable role models to rise up from the African-American community, behavior exhibited by artists like Young Jeezy, Jay Z, etc must be castigated. This has no place in American society and should be deplorable to all the strong African-American men and women that endured racism and slavery and fought for Civil Rights in this country.

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.
Langston Hughes

Well Mr Hughes, you're right more than you know. Indeed, tomorrow has come. The darker brother doesn't eat in the kitchen anymore, but instead, the White House and we all admire the beauty and fortitude. Sadly though, you're right, I am ashamed. I'm ashamed that through social progression and therefore equality, many have refused to relinquish their bigotry and self entitlement. Langston Hughes, Fredrick Douglass, MLK, Harriet Tubman, among others would be ashamed at the behavior and so-called leadership exhibited by modern-day black (pa)role models in the entertainment industry. Until divergent culture stops becoming a podium for perpetuating racism and starts becoming an instrument for social integration or at worst expressive diversity as it was in the Harlem Renaissance, Hughes singing America will be lost in translation. Jay-Z and Young Jeezy are ignorant imbiciles. They're an embarrassment to America. As a strong leader and great example to everyone, I wish President Obama would put on record that these two people couldn't score high enough to clip the roses in the rose garden of the White House. Ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

No comments: