Monday, January 26, 2009

"You wanna know what really gets to me? Jan's a vegetarian. You see the hypocrisy? Jan's a vegetarian, he's a meat cutter."

If you haven't seen this gem directed by the late Ted Demme, who also directed Blow, then I hate you. This is one of the single greatest, most quotable movies ever. The unpretentious lean and poignant dialogue is beautifully written and even better performed. The Lolita aka "Dateline: To Catch a Predator" subplot with the precocious young Marty, played by Natalie Portman even works, despite the feeling that I'm watching something I shouldn't. There are so many reasons you need to watch this film if you haven't. Like most Cameron Crowe movies, the soundtrack is obscure and great, but unlike Crowe, Demme's Beautiful Girls actually delivers the entertainment that it promises. Trust me on this one.




No comments: