Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jackson Pollock would've been 97 today...



Google thought enough of Mr Pollock to have him as the search image today. To be honest, I knew he was post-modern, but I couldn't tell you one thing about this guy, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. Guess what? I still can't tell you one thing about him. Every painting I saw looked like it had been painted at a Parkinson's support group. I know this guy is a "genius" or whatever, but seriously, give me a strobe light and an epileptic and I'll give you a Jackson Pollock.

1 comment:

KKRT said...

I wrote my fine arts thesis on Mr. Pollack. I share your sentiments. However, in the art world, if you are the forerunner and the revealer, (you did it first) this ensures you a status of genius. Artistic license is fickle to say the least. Since WWII, it has become "high concept" disengaging the masses. It is an intimidation factor hyped up on mind altering substances, leftist viewpoints, and gibberish. There is a message behind his madness, it is in some aspects, valid. However, yes, a third rate kindergardener could produce the same results. Pollack is not really to blame. The museums and their board of governance who perpetuate the elitist views on art are the underlying reasons why art is considered to be over the majority's heads.
The abstract expressionism movement was founded on principles of post WWII re-constructionism, atrocities never conceived of prior to WWII, and the reaction to the Truman Doctrine. I have developed an appreciation for the art of this period, even though any average joe could produce such works. It is an attempt at healing. It is for those with high education, and a strong understanding of the world around them. History, in general. It is essentially snobbish enlightenment at its finest. Art History 101: Abstract Expressionism lesson #1, check!