Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dixie Chicks with Dix.


First of all, I'm a huge supporter of free speech. That being said, I think you should be prepared to accept the consequences if what you said offends people. Nothing Natalie Maines said that night in London truly offended me. There are always going to be people that oppose their leaders. What I found foolish was her inability to understand who pays her bills. Right wing blue collar America. Sure, they're rich beyond most people's wildest dreams, so what she said hasn't really put a hardship on them financially. Also, publicly the other members of the band have given her steadfast support, but I bet in secret, they've been like, "That dumb ass should've kept her mouth shut." You can listen to country stations and you'll never hear their music...ever. At one time, they were played every 37 seconds. Their record sales have nearly stopped. They have to cancel multiple shows on every tour since that incident in London. I have to give it to her, though foolish, she's stuck by her statements despite its negative ramifications. All it would've taken for Maines, would've been for her to say, "Although I don't regret what I said about our President, I don't think that my fans pay to hear my political viewpoints." That would've sufficed and she would've gone on to sell out arenas and accumulate platinum records and foot tattoos. Instead, she got even more arrogant, even more liberal, even more abrasive, and her fan base was like, "Ok, Maines, if you insist. You'll regret this one." Regardless, she's made her bed. On another note regading dedication to priciples, it appears she's stuck by her didication to become a dude. When the Dixie Chicks first came out, I was secretly intrigued by this girl. Now, the thought of sleeping with Natalie Maines is as intriguing as photographing Rosie O'Donnell and a liger in a Playboy spread. It might be a few days until I post again because I don't know if I can stomach looking at this picture upon logging in to my account. It makes me wanna die by immolation.

No comments: